Even after new subfloor, I have to admit it was a little scary at this point.
Time to put everything back together! I ordered a lot of drywall, tape, and mud and called in all the reinforcement we could find. Thanks to lots of friends we got the heavy ceiling pieces up and a good start on the walls.
Because we are not pros, there where a few "not so nice"places, but trust me, mud covers a multitude of mistakes!
I realized pretty quickly that hanging the drywall was not my thing. I kept making mistakes, cutting it wrong, hanging it the wrong direction, or not lining it up with a stud. Drywall is also pretty heavy, and made it hard for me to hold in place and put the screws in. So, I just let the guys finish hanging the drywall and I did all the taping and mudding. It took a few minutes to figure out what I was doing and the best way to do it, but once I got the hang of it, it was not to bad. I had heard horror stories about how difficult it was so I was braced for the worst. Really, it is not so hard, just a lot of work, and very time consuming. I am still waiting for feeling to return to my right hand, and I discovered muscles that I never even knew I had.
Our contractor was pretty sure that we would not be able to achieve a smooth texture on the walls and ceiling , but we were equally determined to try our best to make it happen. We ended up using an orbital sander to sand all the joints. We also sanded really well between coats. They say you really don't have to, but I think it really helped make the second coat of mud go on better, and smoother.
I also came to the conclusion that I prefer the mess tape over the paper tape. I started out using just the paper tape. As the seams dried, I had trouble with a few of them sinking into the seam and a few of them bubbled up. After that, I switched to mesh tape for all the open seams on the wall and paper tape for the corners and spot where the wall meets the ceiling. Once I figured that out, I was golden. I think I used about 10 gallons of mud in all!
My wonderful husband figured out that if you hook the shop vac up to the sander you end up with little to no dust!
Finished wall in the sun room. WE DID IT! We achieved a smooth wall!
In the bedrooms we had to patch plaster that already had a sand texture on it. We added play sand to the primer and it really matched almost perfectly. Once the paint when on, you couldn't tell at all.
patched bedroom wall.
So, overall, I have to say that it was worth doing it ourselves.
* It was hard work, took a little time, but very doable.
*It saved us quite a bit of money.
*Trial and error are just sort a part of the project. You have to figure out what works for you. I watched a lot of Youtube videos and asked my contractor lots of questions.
* I love the finished product! It looks great and like a pro did it.