Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Death of the One-Day Makeover

Mul*ti*pur*pose 
 adj. having several purposes or functions. Designed or used for several purposes.

That pretty much sums up my school room/ girls bedroom/ sewing room/ home office/ craft room. I am at a loss as to what to do and how to control it all. I love organizing things, but I am finding myself overwhelmed. 

I am homeschooling 3 children. I have been putting this room off and letting things pile up in anticipation of Christmas break. I was going to get so much done. Every closet was going to get cleaned, all my fabric was going to get sorted and re-folded by color, and I was going to restart school in a state of organized bliss.

The truth is, I spent all of Christmas break taking a break. I was exhausted. I did absolutely no organizing at all! The fact is, the days of one-day makeovers are gone for me. I have just  too many responsibilities and too many people relying on me to kill myself in one crazy move.

 The solution? What I have been telling people for years: start slow, do one thing at a time, and keep it up. If it's too much for me to keep up with, something is not working.  I shouldn't  have huge piles creeping up everywhere.

So, here is my crazy idea. I am going to take the next 3 months (notice my reasonable time frame) and slowly work through my multipurpose room. I will show you all my before pictures, my inspiration pictures, what is working, what is not working, my successes, and my failures. Each day I will try to accomplish something from my list of unfinished tasks in this room. I will walk step by step through it all. I am hoping some of you will pick a room in your house and do this with me. It is always more fun to do something with a friend. Please tell me I am not the only one with this issue!! 

So tomorrow is Day 1. I will start by taking before pictures and identifying what is and is not working. 

It will take me a few days just to figure out what I am in for. Be warned! This is not for the faint at heart! 

2 comments:

Darla said...

I am so interested in this! I am having the same issue with "Kenna's room" which houses Kenna & her stuff, office, craft room, piano & school stuff. Yikes. I don't know what to do, but it's always a disaster. I do have a few grand ideas, but they would be very $$, and I really don't have any money to put towards it right now. Trying to figure it out with what I already have:-/

Heather said...

I so want to see what you come up with. I need help organizing too. I'm about ready to call the professionals and hire it out. Can wait for you next post!!!