Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, December 11, 2010

The good old days....

When I quit manufacturing baby bedding, I wanted to sell some of my sewing machines. I called the company from whom I'd purchased them, and found that because of the economy they were flooded with used machines. Shops were closing all over.  My machines where worthless.

The needle moved to China many years ago, but there were still hold-outs; people like me who wanted to believe that consumers really would purchase higher priced, better quality items over low cost, cheaply made ones.  Products like the quilt your grandmother made that could be passed down for generations.  Well…the truth is, when you don’t have much money and you want the “look," you go to Target, and if you do have the money, you hire a custom seamstress.  And those of us who have no money, but really want the original, make it ourselves.
 As I worked on an airplane applique’ for a friend’s baby set, with all of that running through my head, I made myself cry!  (I am such a girl...)  In my own little way, I was fighting the wheels of time and progress.
Have a great weekend. Be creative. Make something yourself. Clean out your refrigerator.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

and the friend who's home that airplane applique will be adorning, cried when she saw it. . . because a mass produced item is rarely the exact picture in your head. Your artistry, however, is far better. Thank you!! (And I'm planning on cleaning out my fridge tuesday!) :)

Amy said...

I cleaned out my fridge tonight.