lets start with the floors. Most of the house had hardwood floors already. The bedrooms, hall, and living room, all had wood in great shape, however, from the kitchen back, there was a mix of linoleum, parquet, and carpet. We took all of the last 3 out and needed to patch in the wood from the kitchen to the living room where we took out walls.
I am so excited about how well this turned out. It was a ton of work, most of which you do in a squatting position! Ouch! The wood we purchased was "rustic" oak. As in, "Hay, I am super cheap, you should buy me"oak. It does not have the same fine a finish as the existing oak. I really like the rustic better, and once we got it all in the old and new blend just fine. besides, most of the old will be covered by a huge rug. All of the "rustic" will seen.
It seems that every job we finish, a new one waits to take its place! Each job taking 3-4 more days than we promised it would take, but, all being equal, if it looks great, I am happy.
I was sent to please, please buy a new hammer. All 4 of our goods ones went missing. It is truly amazing how your tools walk off.
remodeling with toddlers. Haha.. The story of our life. Baby walkers and compressors...
Yes, we did all of this with the kitchen cabinets and appliances in place. We still need to pull the appliances out and poly behind them; we just didn't want to move every thing to the garage and then back. In my experience, every time you move an appliance, something gets damaged. Maybe not the most efficient way to do it, but it worked.
I will post pictures of the finished floor soon. My phone and computer are not speaking right now. Oh technology how I dislike you sometimes..
Wishing you a very happy New Year! May mine be filled with rest, relationships, family, and whole lot less Ibuprofen!